Hard to complain about the weather last Sunday, at least early and at Mount Evelyn, where most of us were, apart from 10's Maroon who travelled to Gembrook and 14's Maroon who were at Home, Alone! To some results:
- Under 11's kicked off our day at Mount Ev. at 8.10 am against a determined opponent. We were 4th on the ladder playing 3rd and sheep stations were on order. Got to the first break up by 2, but trailed at the main break by the same amount. Our footballers worked hard in the third to overcome the deficit and lead by 10 at the last. Another lock down in the last saw us run out 16 point winners, but 9 scoring shots to 3 a better reflection of the contest.
- Under 9's headed to the Creek at Mt Ev, and played on a slightly reduced ground. Our numbers have been tested over the last few weeks, but our resolve has been growing. We know we are bottom age in this competition, but we also know we have improved each and every week and we look forward to next week and next year!
- 12's Girls were next at Mt Ev against the top team who produced just 12 players and their full ground...Our girls were up for the contest, disappointed the opponent did not use some of our players so we could PLAY MORE FOOTY! We had the lead at stages, continue to improve in leaps and bounds, and look forward to meeting them again in finals. Just one less scoring shot today...
- Under 10's Maroon travelled to Gembrook, luckily it was not yesterdays wind or would have found themselves in Officer! We again find ourselves with older opponents but continue to improve and we look forward to contests against our own age group in the future!
- Under 10's Gold were at Mt Ev, down by the Creek and were always going to be tested by the top age side. Our tackling pressure and our chains of possession were highlights and we continue to develop this year. Not sure what next year will hold for these two teams, but the Club remains focused: more kids playing more footy!
- Under 12's were up for a test, Mt Ev were third, we a couple of games behind in seventh. Linked up working really hard to get to the first break up by 8, had three more scoring shots. Up 11 at the main break and 10 at the last, we continued to battle at the contest, keep in our structures and run hard when we did not have the footy! Held off a determined opponent in the last to get home four point winners. ENERGY!
- Under 14 Gold were next at Mt Ev, we outside the eight, they number two to Woori after some not nice scenes a few weeks back. After a fast start we dropped our intensity in the first quarter and were set to play catch up for the rest of the day. 22 points down at the first break was reduced to 19 points at the main and back to 14 at the last before we ran out down by sixteen, but just one less scoring shot on the day! Against a very good opponent. Look out next year.
- Under 16's started next at Mt Ev against the 6th team on the ladder. Our opponent worked hard getting behind the ball and creating a contest and we had to work hard to find a way around that. Our handball back worked all day to spread our players away from the contest and we worked well on the turnover. Finally conceded a score in the last after we had twenty-four of them illustrates the domination on the day. Another tick for this group and we move on to our next contest.
- Under 14's Maroon were at Monbulk of all places, starting just after the 16's at Mt Ev, against a pretty strong Olinda opponent and we had some support. After conceding a couple in the first, we worked hard in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to restrain our opponent and score ourselves. This team has travelled through a tough year, and will taste some success in 2018 as a result.
Impacted on our Home game next week with Volleyball over the older ages, moved our last Meal Night to the Last round. Under 16s have the Bye in that Round, but all have been invited to play for the Under 18s against Yarra Glen, please take the time to express your sons interest, team manager Dave Richardson first point of call.