A big welcome to Winter today as our teams headed to Gembrook, Olinda and Mount Evelyn to do combat today, feral wind, some hail and some Sun greeted our players! To some results:
- Under 9s parents had a big welcome to winter footy up on the exposed Gembrook ground, did not get blown down to Beaconsfield at a 7.55am start! It only gets better from here...Our players are starting to understand the concept of playing on an opponent, and are taking big strides forward each and every week.
- Under 11s followed at Gembrook and with their rotations were focused on an even performance across the field. Jumped our opponents in the first, and secured a two goal lead at the main break, but gave that all up by the last change! Kept our opponent scoreless in the last to run out thirteen point victors. Enjoyed our contest!
- Under 10s Gold had the earlier start at Gembrook and crashed in hard in the first half against bigger bodies. Under siege they held their opponents out, and have continued to improve over the last four weeks to give us a glimpse at their footballing future!
- Under 10s Maroon travelled up to Olinda and started slowly...as has been the case for the last few weeks. After the first quarter we were very competitive, implementing the disciplines from training, sharing the ball with our team mates, and enjoying playing footy!
- Under 12 Girls travelled to Mt Ev to do battle with Healesville in the cold and wet. A big focus on shepherding this week paid off as the girls worked hard from defence, and transitioned well into their forward line. Strong winners in the end, big improvements keep coming every week! And League Officials impressed by the spirit of the game we hear...!
- Under 12 Boys were at Gembrook and faced some big opponents and got jumped early. Our players had to get their hands dirty in the conditions, worked hard in the second half to level much of the contest. Now we start to learn some structure and discipline and start to understand contested footy. Great second half!
- Under 14 Maroon were at Mt Evelyn and were always going to be challenged by their bigger players in the contests. Managed to kick a goal in the second half, but we need to keep focus on effort rather than outcome. Only with desire will our players continue to improve this year, and we have many good players!
- Under 14 Gold were back at Gembrook, and managed to lead at the main break against a team that were clearly bigger and stronger. Did not concern our boys, but we think the local conditions (Hail) in the third quarter was designed to put us off our game! Our two Under 14 teams are competitive - we don't need to win every week! (Nice)
- Under 16s were one of three undefeated teams coming into this round...and Gembrook had clearly the best form. Our opponent expected to dominate after their first few weeks, but contended with a better team. Going into the first break a goal down, we got to half time down one goal two to two behinds (1.2 to 0.2). In a fierce contest between our back lines, we got to the last change up by a point after kicking a couple of goals! We got led a couple of times in the last to come to the last few minutes hanging on grimly. These two teams will play off in the Grand Final, lock it in...
We are back at home this week at short notice:
- U 9s 8.10am @ Monbulk
- U 11s travel to Upwey for a 10.00am start
- U 12 Girls 10.05 @ Monbulk
- U10 Maroon @ Monbulk v Emerald @ 9.05am
- U10 Gold @ Monbulk @11.15
- U12 host Wesburn @12.15
- U14 Maroon travel to Upwey to 12pm start
- U14 Gold host Wesburn @ 1.25pm
- U16 can expect Wesburn 2.50pm.
Well done Hawks!