Cracking day at the Monbulk Junior Football Club, the hot air balloons floated past, once the sun got over the horizon and melted our hard frost cover on our ground. And our 16's headed to Emerald to contend with another finals team...to some results:
- Under 9's started our day against Yarra Glen on a reduced sized ground at -2 Celsius frost covering our lines. Our team is full of new players to our Club this season and we continue to improve our core skills of kicking, hand balling and getting the footy! Tested against an older opponent today, but had some great runs forward today and took another big step!
- Under 12 Girls followed playing Healesville as our day started to warm, just 14 a side as our opponent was short and we started the first quarter in a tight contest. Our girls improve every week, and today Healesville found out our improvement. Despite having some of our players away, we had almost thirty scoring shots to nil to run out big winners! Well done girls.
- Under 10's Maroon in their fabulous clash jumper strip followed against a bigger, stronger, older Wandin opponent and we looked in much trouble early. But our kids can play footy and we spent sustained periods in our forward line unable to score a goal. Continue to do the right things and the results will come!
- Under 10's Gold faced Yarra Glen today and were also tested against a strong opponent. Kept to our structures, understanding our roles, improving the basics we have kids that love playing footy. Next season we get ladders and scoreboards and wins and losses, important we keep our focus on making improving footballers.
- Under 11's had the Bye this week, and would have enjoyed not kicking the frozen dew today!
- Under 12's hosted Yarra Glen who were around us on the ladder and determined to provide a contest today. They held a slender lead at the first change, we manged to claw that back to lead by the slimmest margin at the main break. Conceded the lead at the last break and finally went down by 11 points but remain a competitive team this season. Continue to work hard on the track and results will follow.
- Under 14 Gold hosted Yarra Glen next and got to the first break with a narrow lead and a ferocious contest on the ball. Got to the main break up by six points, but nine scoring shots to three was a better reflection on the contest. Piled on three straight in the third, followed by three more and a point in the last, help our opponent scoreless in the second half and 43 point winners. Contested ball won.
- Under 14's Maroon hosted our final match of the day on our ground with Seville our opponent. Managed to hold a lead at the first break with our single score the result, got to the main break down by 14 as our opponent with bigger bodies started to work their way on top. Lost the third quarter by a goal, but halved the last to drop by 20 points, but held our heads high on the day. Getting tough for both 14's sides this season. Dig deep.
- Under 16's travelled to Emerald (yes our home game) to do combat with another around the mark. Got to the first break up by 17, but had 10 scoring shots to 3 and looked in control. Kicked 3 goals to 1 in the second with a minor scuffle resulting in a lost player for each team. They got 2 more to our 4 in the third sending us into the last up by 42. Held them scoreless in the last, run out 64 point victors and got the job done today. Will have some more tests in the next weeks, but the top two sides have cleared out this year. And likely not contend again until Grand final day.
Enjoy the Bye and the break this weekend. Some training will go on, please take the time to inform your coaches if your son or daughter can not attend.
Be proud of the way our Club conducts itself. I am continually reminded from other Clubs how well we play on field, and control ourselves off field. We plan to continue to lead the way in Junior football in our community.